With increasing supply of freelancing platforms such as Upwork, Fiverr, and Toptal in the programming industry, more and more companies decide to hire expertise remotely over the Internet. The demand for freelance developers in Python, web development, machine learning, and data science surges—as can be seen by the double-digit growth rates of all of those platforms.
Freelancing is the new way of organizing the world’s talents in the 21st century. To some people, this trend “threatens” their existing job safety. Others believe it’ll help creating a more meaningful working relationship based on respect and value. No matter what you think, you want to belong to the winners of this mega trend, don’t you?
This article shows you the 5 best blogs that teach you how to thrive in this new work environment for decades to come. We selected only blogs that focused on two topics: coding AND freelancing/business. If a blog focuses on only coding or only freelancing, we excluded it from the list.
Here’s a quick overview:
- #1 Finxter Blog — Create Your Thriving Coding Business Online
- #2 Study Web Development
- #3 Upwork Blog – Developers Area
- #4 CareerFoundry Blog
- #5 Treamhouse Blog
Let’s dive into the top five blogs about freelance developing.
The Finxter blog is the world’s largest blog on Python freelancing. In addition to that, it provides plenty of valuable articles, videos, and business strategies for all kinds of freelancers and freelance developers.
The idea is to help you reach six-figure earning potential, which is the average income of a Python freelancer in the US, via 100% remote work on freelancing platforms such as Upwork and Fiverr.
You can watch the Python freelancing webinar to see how this works out for the author of this article.
Top blog articles about freelance developing:
- The Complete Guide to Freelance Developing
- How to Become a Python Freelancer—and Earn $1,000 on the Side? [A Step-by-Step Tutorial]
- How to Go Full-Time ($3000/m) as a Python Freelancer
- [$$$] How to Find Clients as a Python Freelancer?
- [7 Steps] How to Start Your Freelancing Business on the Side?
- Python Freelancing | How to Exploit This Disruptive Mega Trend (as a Coder)
- Top 14 Places to Find Remote Freelance Developer Gigs and Work From Home
- Upwork vs Fiverr — Where to Sell Your Freelancing Services as a Coder?
- What’s the Hourly Rate of a Python Freelancer?
- How Real Freelancers Earn Money in 2020: 10 Practical Python Projects
- What Are the Best Freelancing Sites for Coders?
- Six-Figure Python Freelancer Course
All links to those blog articles open a new tab, so go ahead and read the tutorials that interest you most!
“We help web developers launch and grow their freelancing business.” This is the slogan of the Study Web Development blog. You can see their focus clearly: web developers and freelancing business.
If you’re a web developer, this blog is definitely of interest to you. Traditionally, most freelancing jobs appeared in the web development industry. However, this is rapidly changing. Due to the surge of machine learning and data science, a larger proportion of better-paid professionals sell their Python rather than their web development skills.
Top blog articles about freelance developing:
- The Pros and Cons of Being a Freelance Developer
- How to Earn a Side Income Through Freelancing (In Your PJ’s)
- How to Charge for a Website in 2020 (and Beyond)
- 10 Tips to Brand Yourself as a Freelance Developer
Overall, the number of blog articles about freelancing is much smaller than the number of articles at the Finxter blog. However, the ones that are there are interesting reads—check them out!
Upwork is the biggest freelancing platform on the planet. Connecting millions of clients with freelancers, they know a thing or two about how to become a successful freelance developer.
The blog is quite general, with lots of tips for non-developers as well—so, it doesn’t strictly fit our requirement of being focused only on freelancing AND coding. However, if you search for the keyword “developing” on the blog, you’ll find countless of resources specifically tailored towards freelancing as a programmer.
Here are some of the best articles on the Upwork blog for freelance developers:
- 7 Reasons Why Facebook’s React Native Is the Future of Hybrid App Development
- Tips for Building an Effective WordPress Site for your Brand
- How to Make a Career of Freelancing, via Goal-Setting
- Insights From the World Bank’s Technology
- How to Hire Top Android Developers
- Teacher In The Cloud: Online Education Opens New Opportunities
However, be careful—this blog is mainly focused on bringing you to the Upwork platform. I wouldn’t recommend this resource if this wouldn’t align with my recommendation in 2020. Upwork is a very attractive freelancing market for clients and freelancers alike.
This recommendation is a bit off topic. There are many resources on freelance web developing and remote work as a programmer. However, there are also many resources for employed programmers. Thus, the blog’s sentiment is kind of neutral against the freelance developing opportunity.
These are some interesting articles about freelance developing though:
- How To Become A Successful Freelancer: A 5-Step Guide
- Five Disadvantages Of Going Freelance And How You Can Overcome Them
- 10 Myths Of The Freelance Lifestyle
- How To Get Paid What You’re Worth As A Freelancer
- How To Get Your First Web Developer Job: The Ultimate Guide for Junior Developers
- What Are The Key Skills Every Data Analyst Needs?
This blog contains some excellent resources for Python freelancers—written by an internationally renowned expert in the field. Highly recommended!
Here are some great blog articles:
- How to Freelance Course
- Python Freelancing: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- How to Market Your Freelance Developer Skills
- How to Generate Passive Leads as a Freelancer
- Is freelancing right for you? 4 questions to ask before getting started
About Freelance Developing Blogs
There are other blogs about only freelancing and only developing. In this article, we focused on the blogs that addressed both topics. If you want to become an expert, and you have a coding background, you should focus mainly on the business side of things. Business skills such as marketing, selling, positioning, negotiating, and accounting are much more important than coding skills on your road to freelance developing success.
Where to Go From Here?
Enough theory, let’s get some practice!
To become successful in coding, you need to get out there and solve real problems for real people. That’s how you can become a six-figure earner easily. And that’s how you polish the skills you really need in practice. After all, what’s the use of learning theory that nobody ever needs?
Practice projects is how you sharpen your saw in coding!
Do you want to become a code master by focusing on practical code projects that actually earn you money and solve problems for people?
Then become a Python freelance developer! It’s the best way of approaching the task of improving your Python skills—even if you are a complete beginner.
Join my free webinar “How to Build Your High-Income Skill Python” and watch how I grew my coding business online and how you can, too—from the comfort of your own home.
While working as a researcher in distributed systems, Dr. Christian Mayer found his love for teaching computer science students.
To help students reach higher levels of Python success, he founded the programming education website Finxter.com. He’s author of the popular programming book Python One-Liners (NoStarch 2020), coauthor of the Coffee Break Python series of self-published books, computer science enthusiast, freelancer, and owner of one of the top 10 largest Python blogs worldwide.
His passions are writing, reading, and coding. But his greatest passion is to serve aspiring coders through Finxter and help them to boost their skills. You can join his free email academy here.