Python is one of the most popular programming language according to a recent Spectrum article.
But why should you decide to enter the game as well and invest your scarce time in learning Python? For three reasons:
- Python developers are among the highest paid across all programming languages: on average you can expect to bring home 105,000$ per annum. Major companies such as Google, Facebook, and DropBox use Python for all kind of things such as web crawling, data science, and User Interfaces.
- Python is designed to be easy, clean, and readable. Unnecessary syntactical elements are omitted for brevity (e.g. brackets) improving your learning and coding experience a lot.
- Python programs are short and expressive. In a comparison of the expressiveness of major programming languages (measured as lines of code per feature), Python is reported to be among the most expressive top-level languages – three times as expressive as the programming language C.
In this article, we compiled the best resources to learn Python – whether you are a beginner, an intermediate, or a professional Python developer. Each resource gets one sentence to present itself – let the best resource win!
Python and Computer Science Puzzles
- Finxter: Learn Computer Science for free by solving rated Python puzzles of diverse difficulty levels.
- Codeacademy: Codecademy is an online interactive platform that offers free coding classes in 12 different programming languages including Python.
- Topcoder: Topcoder is a company that administers contests in computer programming.
- Python programming language: The official documentation of the Python programming language with comprehensive descriptions of the functionality.
- The Official Python Tutorial: This tutorial introduces the reader informally to the basic concepts and features of the Python language and system.
- LearnPython: Whether you are an experienced programmer or not, this website is intended for everyone who wishes to learn the Python programming language.
- DBader.org: Improve Your Python with a fresh Python Trick every couple of days.
- JavaTPoint: It covers the topics such as Python programming, features, history, versions, how to install, how to execute, variables, keywords, identifiers, literals, operators and comments.
Online Course Material
- Codeschool: Explore what it means to store and manipulate data, make decisions with your program, and leverage the power of Python.
- Udemy – The Complete Python Masterclass: Python course for beginners, Learn Python Programming , Python Web Framework Django, Flask, Web scraping and a lot more.
- Udemy – Complete Python Masterclass: If you’ve never programmed a computer before, or if you know another programming language and want to learn Python, this course will teach you how.
- Udemy – Data Analysis with Python & Pandas: You will learn how to handle, analyze and visualize data in Python by actually completing two big data analysis projects, one demonstrated through videos and another laid out through six exercises.
- Udacity – Programming Foundations with Python: In this introductory programming class, you’ll learn Object-Oriented Programming, a must-have technique for software engineers that will allow you to reuse and share code easily.
- Coursera – Python for Everybody: This Specialization will introduce fundamental programming concepts including data structures, networked application program interfaces, and databases, using the Python programming language.
- MIT OpenCourseWare – Introduction to Computer Science and Programming in Python: This course is intended for students with little or no programming experience and aims to provide students with an understanding of the role computation can play in solving problems and to feel justifiably confident of their ability to write small programs that allow them to accomplish useful goals.
- Datacamp – Intro to Python for Data Science: In this Intro to Python class specifically tailored to data science, you will learn about powerful ways to store and manipulate data as well as cool data science tools to start your own analyses.
- Dataquest – Learn Python: Learn Python as a foundation for effective data science, including syntax, loops, functions, classes, and more.
- Google’s Python Class: This is a free class for people with a little bit of programming experience who want to learn Python – including written materials, lecture videos, and lots of code exercises to practice Python coding.
- How To Think Like A Computer Scientist: Free and interactive web book that serves as both an introduction to Python and Computer Science.
- Dive into Python: A free Python book for experienced programmers.
- Head First Python: A Brain-Friendly Guide: With Head First Python, you’ll quickly grasp Python’s fundamentals, working with the built-in data structures and functions.
- Learn Python 3 the Hard Way: A Very Simple Introduction to the Terrifyingly Beautiful World of Computers and Code (Zed Shaw’s Hard Way Series): You’ll learn Python by working through 52 brilliantly crafted exercises.
- Python Cookbook: Inside, you’ll find complete recipes for more than a dozen topics, covering the core Python language as well as tasks common to a wide variety of application domains.
- Learning Python: Powerful Object-Oriented Programming: If you want to write high-quality, efficient code that’s easily integrated with other languages and tools, this hands-on book will help you be productive with Python quickly — whether you’re new to programming or just new to Python.
- Fluent Python: Clear, Concise, and Effective Programming: With this hands-on guide, you’ll learn how to write effective, idiomatic Python code by leveraging its best—and possibly most neglected—features.
- Effective Python: 59 Specific Ways to Write Better Python (Effective Software Development Series): This book will help you harness the full power of Python to write exceptionally robust, efficient, maintainable, and well-performing code.
- Expert Python Programming: The focus of the book is to familiarize you with common conventions, best practices, useful tools and standards used by python professionals on a daily basis when working with code.
- Learn Python in One Day and Learn It Well: This book includes a complete project at the end of the book that requires the application of all the concepts taught previously.
- Learning Python, 5th Edition: Get a comprehensive, in-depth introduction to the core Python language with this hands-on book.
To help our readers, we would like to grow this overview to include all the best Python courses out there. Please use the comments to propose further resources such that we can include them into this list.
Be sure to checkout out our puzzle-based learning web app Finxter to measure your skills and your learning progress.